Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I have a friend who's life revolves around his dog. It's fido this and fido that all the time...



Dear David,I have a friend who's life revolves around his dog. It's fido this and fido that all the time. I have pets but they are my pets. I love them but I don't think of them as people. Am I wrong or is he wrong?
~The Pet Questioner
Dear Pet Questioner,I was brought up in a household with many pets so I am used to having animals around the house. However, I do think there is a danger of letting pets take the place of a person in your life. They always love you. They don't talk back. They don't argue. All around they're much easier. But you are right. They cannot be fulfilling in the way a relationship is. If they must always be present and you cannot leave them - often they create a barrier that makes having a relationship difficult. I myself think they are there are there to create that barrier because the pet owner doesnt really want to have a relationship or do what is required - like pay attention to another person. Yes, love your pets but don't make them a substitute. That's my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment