Monday, April 29, 2013


Dear David,
What do you think about gay marriage?
~Rather B. Single

Dear Rather B.,
Listen, if your idea of a great life is being an upper middle-class couple in the suburbs with children, go for it. For myself, my life has been all about romance. And if romance is gone, so am I.  I am 83 and have managed to be in my fourth great romance right now. The other three lasted  two years, thirty years and ten years. I count myself very, very lucky that I have managed to pull this off. I was always man crazy. I was never domesticity crazy. And if you think domesticity equates to security, you have another thing coming.

I think it was Tolstoy who wrote, "If you do not want to be lonely you should never marry." I think in this century we are going to see a lot of women opting for romance over marriage, while the people they are "copying"....gay men...will go in the other direction. Interesting isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Romance is an important stepping stone to marriage. It's also what makes a marriage special.
    Getting married does not take away romance. Furthermore,romance rejuvenates a marriage.

    ReplyDelete