Monday, April 4, 2011

Dressing Your Age


Dear David,
I’m getting ready to go to my 30th high school class reunion in Puerto Rico. It would be the first one I’ve ever attended. I must look my best. I looked at Romy and Michelle’s high school reunion, What I learned from the movie was to have better boyfriends and jobs than everyone else. They claimed to have invented post-its. I was thinking about claiming I invented Facebook, but that darn movie blew my story. I could use more tips. It’s a tropical setting so bear in mind elegance and heat.
Thanks,
~Frantic but fabulous


Dear Double F,
If you are attending a high school reunion for the first time you must project success. Do not concern yourself with looking as much as possible as you once did. Just look like you've got it together. Wear an expensive looking blazer. Maybe warm-weather pants; good quality chinos so you don't look too expensively turned out. A white shirt because after a certain age we all need white around the face and I have a feeling you have reached that certain age. Most important, good shoes. You can wear brown loafers but if you have to spend some money to get ready for this event, spend it here. Shoes are always the giveaway. You need one more thing to suggest your well-being. A very good watch or a not-too-flashy pocket hankerchief to suggest you live in a world where people know that is going on in fashion. As we all know, Coco Chanel said, "Get dressed and just before you go out look in the mirror and take off one thing. I think she also said, "Elegance is refusal." What I suggest as your look has already refused a lot of other possibilities. You do not need to take off one thing.

I will be appearing at Bar 721 in Miami Beach on Friday April 15, 2011 at 7 pm. It is to promote my new book "How to Be Gay in the 21st Century." But also I will have a table and chair and I want to talk to people about their problems. Sexual. Fashion. Family. Work. You name it. For my blog. Try to come! Bar 721 is at 721 Lincoln Lane (in the first block east of Meridian north of Lincoln Road. Click here for their website. Try to come, and bring your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment