Thursday, April 14, 2011
What to Do About Aging...
I'm getting older and I don't like it at all. What are you doing about it?
Dear Old Fart,
I love your pen name. It means you are not taking yourself too seriously. Okay, here is some of what is in my book "How to Be Gay in the 21st Century":
1. Laughable Loves. Please don't be getting crushes on younger men you can only long for. "I think the waiter likes me." Please.
2. Pornography. I learned this strangely from an interview with the famous architect Buckminster Fuller. Essential as you get older. You need variety to get excited. Do not be ashamed of this in any way.
3. Don't Embarass Yourself. Remember the things you noticed about older men when you were a younger man. No combovers, toupees, you can color your hair but go to a good hairdresser and have an expert job.
4. Loneliness. Just think of someone who is lonelier than you are and do something about it. Not necessarily another man. People in retirement homes, orphans, single women friends. Don't pay attention to someone who might be a potential love interest. Hidden agendas can backfire on you. And then you are even lonelier.
5. Hang Around with Younger People. We have a tendency to pick up mannerisms and style from our peer group. You really have no trouble getting in and out of cars. You don't slump. Stick with younger people and act like them.
I am at Bar 721 tomorrow night. Drop in. It's at 721 Lincoln Lane just north of Lincoln Road off Meridian towards the beach.