Monday, March 26, 2012

A great romance that lasts a lifetime?

Dear David,
I am a gay man who is not at all interested in getting married to another man or having children. I am very romantic and have this idea that you can have a great romance that lasts a lifetime. Am I a fool? Is there really nothing but what our parents did: hitch up with someone and when the attraction has faded fill your time with taking the kids to athletic events and a job you don't like very much. Tell me there is more than this!
~A Bit Discouraged

Dear A Bit Discouraged,
Don't be, my darling. I know when you look around you it doesn't look all that promising. The great romances like the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw, where are they? Were they ever what we thought they were? Yes, I think a great romance is quite possible. But you have to be ready for it. Not so much hunting for it everywhere, but realizing when someone pursues you that possibly this is it. Think about the added dimension of you two as a team against the world. There's nothing better and I do think the children, the house, the neighbors and all that middle class stuff wears away the caring and certainly your looks. You begin to think looks aren't that important. Elizabeth Taylor never did.

We all have our destiny. Try to feel it. Get out there. Be available. And I promise your great love is not online or in a bar somewhere. Keep your eyes open.

No comments:

Post a Comment