Monday, October 31, 2011

Feeling Guilty About Being Gay


Dear David of the Gay Dish,
To be short and sweet about it - I was brought up in a very religious home and I cannot shake the feeling that being gay is being bad. I always feel guilty about it and it seems to wreck my relationships with other men. What do you think about this?
~Guilty as Hell

Dear G. H.,
I’m not going to go into all that folderol about homosexuality being genetic, etc. We all know that. Here’s my question to you. Is you mother still living? You may think your guilty feelings are religious but I’ll bet they’re maternal. In my experience even big names and famous people remain closeted not because of their careers but because of their mother. I just closed in my musical based on my book “How to Be Gay in the 21st Century.” I have a song about parents and guilt in the show. This guilt stuff has to do with your parents embarassment, not yours. I don’t wish your mother gone, but the moment she does your guilt will go with her is what I think.

(Photo of David Leddick by David Vance for book "How to be Gay in the 21st Century")

No comments:

Post a Comment